Sunday, February 14, 2010

Spray it up!

Well, time to jump in with both feet and spray this sucker. I don't have a proper spaying set up, but managed to improvise a bit during a bout of good weather outside.













































I masked off areas of the bot that I wanted to remain clear and open, making sure I really thought through what outcome I wanted before doing a final commit. I tried to leave some corners of the tape off for an easier removal.

Having just moved, I had a bountiful harvest of boxes laying around, so I grabbed a good sized one to use for the spraying to avoid over-spray of the surrounding area. Gloves and mask on, I was good to go.

One of the things I'm working on is patience and planning when it comes to these projects. I'm better than I was, but still tend to rush through the planning phase to get to the outcome. I got a spray paint that was good for plastic and contained both the paint and primer, but I neglected to prep the surface properly, so the pain had a difficult time clinging to the surface in certain areas. I plan to work around these “thing areas” with a brush and some detail work I had already planned on, but a good solid base coat would have been better. Also, the somewhat glossy nature of the paint itself is giving the bot a glossier look than I had planned on, but I plan to work around that as well.

I think some of these prep-steps would have done wonders:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4865991_prep-plastic-paint.html

And now you know, and knowing is half the battle. :) I'm still really happy with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment