Friday, February 26, 2010

Winch Box

Today was the big winch box day. I had the basic idea and thought that the process was going to be a slam dunk. However, once I had everything out, I saw that it was going to require a little more effort than I had planned on.

I have worked with foam core in the past and have the plan to get it curved. Scoring through half the foam board then splitting it works really well. Patience and careful cutting will do the trick. But once I saw the space I was working with, things became a bit tricky.

The remote control pickup receptors are on RoboRover's back, so I could not build the pack on his back like I had originally planned. I thought through the desired outcome and thought that the lower portion of the frame would work out well for the box build.

After scoring the foam core, I measured the space where it needed to fit and cut it down to match. I chopped the lower portion to fit around the robot body.

The rest was just detail. A few bits of foam core for the sides worked out well, the use of various bits and pieces like a radio set for a controller box worked like a charm, then a black wash over the whole thing made for a great match for the rest of the piece.

More detail is needed, but it's a grand start.




No comments:

Post a Comment